CTS Guitar Potentiometer
CTS is industry name in electric guitar electronics and is used in high quality guitar builds.
CTSpots provides smooth and accurate response than your stock potentiometers.You will especially appreciate these pots when working with overdrive as ithelps you have more control over your clean/dirty sound
- 250k / 500k
- Audio taper for Volume and Tone
- +- 10% tolerance (+- 15% tolerance for 450S4072 model)
- Split Shafts (for general use) / Solid shaft (for screw-type knobs)
- 1/4", 3/8", 3/4" shaft height (know more in the article below)
- Low torque
- Washers and nuts included
- Raw parts w/o packaging
How to choose a potentiometer?
- Shaft diameter canMETRIC (8 mm) or US (9.5 mm). Usually Asian-made guitars like Ibanez, Epiphone, Squier or entry to mid level guitars have metric-spec stock potentiometers. If you will change the pots to CTS, then you may need to widen the hole to accommodate the shaft diameter of the CTS pots.
- Shaft height can be 1/4", 3/8", or 3/4"
- 1/4 inch has the shortest shaft height and used for guitars with pickguard like Strat or Jazzmaster or with control plate like telecaster or Jazz Bass.
- 3/8 inch is used for guitarswhere pots are installed on the wood top likeAsian-made Les Pauls and non-pickguard superstrats.
- 3/4 inch, the longest shaft are used on guitars that have thick tops like vintage Gibson Les Pauls.
- Shaft texture - can be split shaft or solid shaft. Split shaft is used for no-screw knobs while solid shaft can work only with knobs that have screw. Generally you can use split shaft. Solid shaft are mostly used for telecasters and jazz bass where the knobs have screw
- Taper - this is how gradual the resistance change as you turn the knob
- Linear taper as the name suggest changes resistance exactly how the knob turns. When the potentiometer is in the middle position, the resistance value is also at the half mark. This is usually used in volume control.
- Audio taper or custom tapers gradually change the resistance value and almost abruptly opens up when you are near 10. This is very useful if you're working with drive to control the clean up. Audio taper can be used for Volume and Tone.